Saturday, June 28, 2008

The sun is out... and all I want to do is sleep.

My goal for this summer, since I'm out of school and unemployed, is to write. Or blog. Or whatever you want to call it. So far I've written... nothing. Granted, my classes ended on Thursday (my University summer school, I think, ended the same day as high school...) but I still feel like I should be doing MORE. I won't whine. The only thing to do is write more.
So here's my commitment for the summer: I'm going to blog about everything, whether it be a community event (Victoria Tall Ships, anyone?), a TV show (what's up with all these Japanese-inspired game shows?), or a small observation. But this isn't a diary (and hopefully it doesn't turn into one..)
So I'm asking for your help, my one loyal reader. When I get too "personal" or "whiny" or "TMI", tell me. I don't want to keep shouting the "poetic truths of high school journal-keepers." My 10-year reunion is like two weeks from now! I need to move on.
"Your 10-year reunion is two weeks from now?" you ask. Yes, it is. And no, I'm not going. Nothing personal to my classmates, I just... well, reasoning is twofold. First, I have nothing to say to those people. I didn't keep many friends after high school, and the ones I DID keep are distant now. Not only would it be awkward to see these people, basically strangers, that I went to school with... it would be even more awkward to see the people I used to be close with. Yeah, no, I'm not in the mood for "past friend reunions" either... that's what Facebook is for. If I can't be bothered to leave a comment on their wall...
Second, reunions, you're supposed to be impressive. Right? You're supposed to say you invented Post-Its or that you're an astronaut cowboy or a hired assassin. I'm none of those things, and more than that, I'm a bad liar. (Actually, no, I'm a really GOOD liar... but the sun has made me lazy. See above.) I don't even have a baby to wind up and set loose on the picnic blanket, like most of my classmates do. And I know the pressure's all in my head - our Valedictorian is, last I heard, a delivery driver at a Chinese restaurant - but still. I always expected I'd be some sort of "professional" by now. I didn't think I'd be in University at the age of 27.
27. Eeeeek.

No comments: